Pages

Once a Rat, Always a Rat

Monday, June 3, 2013

One of the best things about our relationship is how different we are. Wyet and I have known each other for well over a decade, but there are still so many new things he teaches me and vice versa. It's these little {seemingly insignificant} new experiences that keep our relationship exciting and full of life.

This past Saturday, we woke up at your usual time {a bit later than mid-morning for us sleepy heads} and were making a pot of coffee together when Wyet asked me if I felt like going to the Rat Fink Reunion. {Wait. The what?} I had no idea what he was talking about. When he saw my look of confusion, he began to tell me that I had to know what he was talking about. In fact, once upon a time he had even bought me a Rat Fink shirt. After he explained this to me, I had to admit that while I remembered the t-shirt, I hadn't the faintest idea what the brand Rat Fink was. That is when our Saturday adventure began.

Rat Fink is a brand, an icon and a legend in the hot-rod world. The creator, Ed "Big Daddy" Roth, is a renowned custom car builder and pin-striper. Ol' Big Daddy spent his life building hot-rods, customizing them, pin-striping and donning his works with Rat Fink. Rat Fink is the character behind the brand and was created as an anti-hero to Mickey Mouse. Rat Fink is a grotesque little character that stands as a symbol to the hot-rod culture.

The Rat Fink Reunion was held in Manti, Utah, home of the late Ed Roth. We were able to tour the Rat Fink Museum which displays original pieces of Roth's garage where he built countless hot-rods and the original office space where he created the Rat Fink masterpiece. It was a really fun experience to go and view the entire history of such a legacy. I woke up on Saturday morning knowing very little about pin-striping and nothing at all about hot-rods. By the end of the day, I felt like I fit right in. Wyet's entire career centers around custom paint and design. It was a great experience to go and enjoy a bit of that with him.

Manti, Utah 2013
Wyet with the hot-rod rats!
Ed "Big Daddy" Roth's garage
Touring the Rat Fink Museum

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs