Pages

Let's Run Away Together

Friday, July 26, 2013

I have to admit, life over the past few years has treated me well. Of course, there were disappointments and bad days, but overall, I experienced more moments of happiness than not. Regardless, there are still those days in which I want to just run away. I think {I hope} that everyone experiences that need to just get away every once in awhile. While we are all out there trying to make others conceptualize our lives as being perfect, we forget that we're all writing a less than perfect story. There is nothing wrong with admitting that life can just be too much at times.

Over the past few weeks, work has been hectic, trying to maintain a decent home and yard has felt like a never ending job and finding time to workout or even go for a walk has been nearly impossible. I have felt overwhelmed; like there weren't enough hours in a day. For living under the same roof as Wyet, I was starting to wonder why I hardly ever spent time with him. Then I decided, enough is enough. We need an escape.

I have never successfully surprised Wyet {probably because I can't keep a secret, and I think he is a private detective}, but this time was different. I knew that Wyet would be completely exhausted after the Spartan Race so this was my prime opportunity to really blow him away with a fun, yet very low key weekend getaway. I packed our bags, stuffed them in my trunk and he was none the wiser.

Once the Spartan was over, we jumped in the car, and Wyet thought we were headed for home. He was so distracted looking at the photos I had taken on my camera that it wasn't until we had almost arrived at our destination that he asked what was going on. Moments later, I rounded the corner and pulled up to The Homestead Resort. He sent me a confused glance before I burst out, "We are staying here!" He was completely shocked.

We spent the remainder of the evening soaking in the infamous Crater mineral water, eating a delicious meal at Simon's and listening to a little bit of folk music from the Midway Summer Concert Series {we got lucky by booking our room on a night that a free concert was on the grounds}. When we went back to our room, we spent a few hours sitting on the balcony talking about life and just being together. It was calm, and it was wonderful. The next morning we stopped by a local cafe and had pastries and coffee. This was the life.

I can't help but smile at the reason this short retreat was so satisfying. Sure the beautiful landscaping, live music and serene atmosphere helped, but the best part about the experience was being together. It seemed we hadn't spent that type of quality, up all night talking, kind of time together in months. It was just what I needed to get me through the hectic ins and outs of our sometimes less-than-perfect everyday life.


I love gazebos! This was right outside of our room.
The beautiful grounds at the resort. There were fountains and flowers everywhere!



This picture doesn't even do the Crater justice. This mineral water was the perfect temperature, and it was inside a cave with an open top to see outside!
After our relaxing little soak!
We climbed to the top of the Crater to check out the view. Wyet was so sore from the race he could barely make it!

Feeling refreshed and ready for life!

5 comments:

  1. looks like you guys had funn. gonna scrap any of your adventures ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon! You know I will! Project Life style!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this! Everyone needs a good escape every now and again. My most recent post is about the same thing! We get each other. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aweeee what a fun surprise! sometimes life is too much, you're not alone! congrats and your successful surprise =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so proud of you for keeping your secret. That is HUGE.

    I cannot wait for a weekend away with Kyle for our anniversary. It is so important to have that time to connect with your love. Love love love this.

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs