Pages

Lovely Old Souls

Sunday, February 16, 2014

I have always felt as though my soul was older than my surroundings; like I was born in the wrong decade. I listen to my favorite music on vinyl, I read all of my books in hard copy and I write all of my letters by hand. I'm an old lady {trapped in a twenty-something body}. I have an old soul, and I wouldn't trade that for the most trendy lifestyle of today. However, having an old soul has its trials; primarily that nobody quite gets you. Most people do not understand why I don't like to go out, party, be young and careless. The truth is, I don't feel young {and I am certainly not careless} so the yolo lifestyle has very little appeal. I like my routine, my tenderheartedness and especially my early bedtime. I am not saying that my old soul persona is terribly unique, in fact, I have many friends that are just as old as I am. The great feature to my old soul is that I found a counterpart, just as old and loving as my own. {In this day and age, that is something to be proud of.}

As everyone searches for that one person with which they will share their lives, we all look for someone who is both similar to us yet different enough to fill in the gaps that we leave blank. For those who are fortunate enough, we find just such a person. For someone like myself {old, simple and a complete hermit} it is miraculous that I was able to find someone {even remotely} similar to myself; luckily, he is a bit more spontaneous around the edges to even me out. Wyet is my person. He is the one that has helped me to feel comfortable in my own skin. He acts as though my lifestyle is normal, even though I would rather spend my Friday nights curled up in bed with a great novel and a cup of tea, as opposed to out dancing with a cosmo in hand. He has showed interest in my quiet, homely side when others looked at me as though I was purposely missing out on "the best time of my life".

Wyet shares similar old soul qualities with me which make our relationship flow as smoothly as it does. Yet, at the same time, we are different enough that he keeps me from slipping in to a total state of recluse. This year, as we celebrated our ninth Valentine's Day together, I feel overwhelmed with  happiness to have found a love as true and as accepting as this. Things have never been perfect, and they never will be. We will never see eye-to-eye on some topics, and we will probably never admit that the other is right. However, he loves me for who I am {old lady and all}, and I love him right back. While our story will never be fairytale perfect, I do take some pride in saying, "I always knew it was you".

As always, we made homemade sugar cookies on Saint Valentines Day.
The next morning, Murphy {and a couple of mimosas} helped me decorate them!
I made this mini chalkboard/scrap page to remember just a few of the things I love about us.
If your man buys you both a new pair of slippers for your vday gift, I think it really shows how well he knows you and appreciates your oldness :]

1 comment:

 
site design by designer blogs