Pages

Refreshed

Sunday, November 2, 2014

It's not everyday that your boss pulls you into his office requesting that in just three days time you jet off to a different country. Needless to say, the request made was not one I could easily refuse. I was asked to head to the United Kingdom the following week to help on the set of a live TV show. Considering how tedious and dull my regular work schedule had been, I was thrilled at the thought of getting away for a week. Just like that, I was on my way.

After an incredibly long journey {two flights, fifteen hours and a few time zones later) I arrived at London Heathrow Airport. From there, we rented a car and made the three hour drive in to Peterborough. Riding along on the wrong side of the car and the wrong side of the road is an experience I will never forget. Everything about it felt so wrong, and I was constantly grabbing on to the dash and holding my breath as I thought we were about to collide with oncoming traffic. Despite my fears, we made it to the Bull Hotel safely.

Over the next few days, we spent time at the studio where I set up projects and displays while my traveling partner covered the hard part of the job of being on live television as a presenter. The work I did while in Peterborough was anything but strenuous, and it gave me a lot of time to think, breath, and just escape real life.

In the weeks before I left for Peterborough, I just felt stuck. Work was proving to be one nightmare after the next. I was showing up late every day because I was appalled at the thought of getting out of my bed. Not only was work life getting monotonous, but I was getting bored in other aspects of my life, too. I wasn't making an effort to attend even my favorite classes at the gym, and I hadn't picked up a good book in weeks. I felt stuck, bored and incredibly unmotivated. Getting away from my regular routine for a few days helped me to see life through clear eyes and a new perspective. It made me realize that life can get repetitive regardless of what part of the planet you are on. Happiness comes in finding serenity in the everyday.

While it was incredible to see the differences in the way people in England live versus the way that I live, what was even more eye opening was to see all of the similarities. We all sit in traffic, and we all count down the hours until it is time to head home. Taking a small break from my regular life gave me the chance to see it through new eyes, and I realized that while a getaway is always nice, sometimes right back where you started from is right where you belong.

Boarding the plane in Salt Lake.
Two hours in to the fifteen hour flight.
At the Create and Craft station.
Bull Hotel
We had a free afternoon so naturally I found the nearest bookstore and spent all of my money.
Enjoying a Starbucks in Peterborough Town Square
Starbucks and Peterborough Cathedral
As amazing as England was, there is nothing quite like coming home to handpicked flowers from your love and a house full of puppies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs