Pages

Tricks, Treats & Traditions

Saturday, November 22, 2014

Halloween has always been the holiday I most look forward to. Not only does it fall in the middle of my favorite season and my favorite month, but it is a holiday of trickery, haunting and treats. Nonetheless, this year, I couldn't seem to get in the spooky spirit of the season. Of course I decorated and bought pumpkins, but the idea of dressing up {which is generally my favorite part} and attending a party just didn't sound appealing.

One can't be expected to host the same amount of enthusiasm for an event or holiday with each passing year. It is only natural, that once in a while, we just want a break. That is how I felt this year. I didn't have it in me. I felt badly about my indifference to what was meant to be my most sought after time of the year, and I would have been disappointed in myself if I would have let the entire holiday pass without paying it notice. Luckily for me, there is someone who prevented that from happening.

For the past decade, it has been a tradition that Wyet and I carve pumpkins. Not long after the tradition begin, it took on a new meaning. Rather than carving for ourselves, we began carving pumpkins for the ultimate Halloween fanatic, Miss Matye. Matye loved Halloween equally {if not more} than I do, and because of her, even though we weren't in our most celebratory moods, we followed through with the most important aspect of this holiday; keeping traditions and memories alive.

Picking out pumpkins in late September {Wyet thought it was too early, but I wanted to enjoy them for as long as possible}

As always, Wyet went above and beyond any ordinary design. This year, rather than carving through the entire pumpkin, he skinned off layers at a time to create this amazing eyeball.
Donned with eyelashes and all!
The artist and his masterpiece
Marcel, the eye, the cat {a running joke of this year}, a Day of the Dead Skull and of course an M for Matye.
Simple vs Dynamic
Happy Halloween Matye! Thanks for always keeping us in check each October.
All lit up
Even though we didn't do much this Halloween season, we did spend a lot of quality time together. Dressed up or not, this guy will always be my favorite person to spend any holiday with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs