Pages

According to Plan

Sunday, August 18, 2013

I wonder if anything has ever gone according to plan. The way we envision that plan in our minds is always a little bit off from how it actually pans out. I suppose that's just life. There are hiccups and there are bumps, and they always seem to show up at the most inconvenient moments. It has been said that during life's little mishaps, wonderful things can happen. When one plan fails, it is opening the door to countless other opportunities to fill its space. It all depends on how you decide to view the situation. In my experiences, I have learned that you can figure out a lot about the nature of a person by their reactions. Especially, their reactions to unfortunate circumstances.

Thinking about the way my life has played out, I realized that nothing happened the way I thought it would. I had planned to study journalism, only to switch during my final years. I had planned on moving to a big city to figure life out, instead I moved into tiny home in an even tinier town with the one person who made life make sense. I thought I had accomplished my scholastic goals, only to start thinking about grad school. Nothing ever has went according to plan, and I can only thank God for that.

Turns out, that major life plans aren't the only things that can get off track. Anything can get off track. Even what is supposed to a fun and simple weekend getaway. That's what happened to us last week as we headed out for our annual Lake Powell trip. The first few days weren't quite what we expected. The weather was going to be in the upper 90s everyday {it wasn't}, the boats were going to take us on long cruises throughout the day {they didn't} and the calm nights were to be spent around a fire with a drink in hand {not quite}.

I began to think that our retreat was going to be one unfortunate event after another. However, just as easily as things fall apart, they can come back together. We were fortunate enough to catch a few rays of sunshine in between the storms and to experience a couple of eventful boat rides. There was still laughter and smiles and of course a few drinks. Our trip wasn't what we were expecting, but it was definitely memorable.
Not exactly the way I envisioned our first night at Powell. Wyet is digging trenches around our tent in prepartion for the storm.
Hiding out in our tent while the wind and rain approach. Ironically enough, I spent this time reading Life of Pi {a story about a boy who is stranded on the ocean}, and I felt a little stranded myself.
As quickly as the storm approached, it passed, and we spent a few fun hours on the Lake.
Soaking up some sun with this babe
Wyet taking us for a little cruise around our camp.
Two little people in one little raft.
Words cannot explain this picture. Priceless.
Wyet and Jed- they are more like brothers than anything else.


Our turn for a tube ride!

Jeri and I enjoying the sun that finally came out.

2 comments:

  1. Way to turn this into a positive trip despite the mishaps love you

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs