Pages

A Day to Remember

Saturday, May 25, 2013


It is Memorial Day weekend, and as I was driving home from work yesterday I couldn't count how many trailers and boats I passed on the freeway. This weekend has become notorious as one of the biggest camping weekends of the year. I have always enjoyed Memorial Day weekend because it is a sure sign that summer has arrived.

Last night, while talking with some friends, Wyet made a comment that struck us into a more meaningful conversation. He said, "People need to remember that this isn't just a National BBQ holiday." I think the meaning of this holiday often gets overlooked or forgotten {not intentionally, of course}. On that note, it made me remember how grateful I am for the free life I am able to lead, and how many people sacrificed their own lives to ensure that freedom. For this, I am indebted with gratitude.

Memorial Day has also morphed into a day of remembrance for all the loved ones we have lost. Seven years ago, the world regrettably lost a carefree, spit-fire little lady that lit up everyone's life. Matye had the world at her fingertips, and she lived up each moment to its fullest. With an incredible artistic ability and an unparalleled personality, she was always two steps ahead of the game.

Matye and Wyet are so much more than siblings. They are the best of friends. I love listening to Wyet tell me stories of their childhood. He can never make it through without bursting into laughter. The memories of Matye bring us complete happiness, and she still makes us laugh. Speaking of Matye doesn't {often} bring us to tears but rather lifts us up with her memory. It was a pleasure to know such a lady.


Graduation 2005



1 comment:

  1. Such kind words!! And you are correct never a dull moment with that little Miss. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs