Pages

Bring the Outdoors In

Monday, May 27, 2013

Spring fever hits me pretty hard every year, and this year definitely wasn't the exception. In fact, this year warm weather has been anticipated more than ever because Wyet and I have been dreaming up plans for our yard and garden. We both decided it would be best to plant an array of vegetable plants, herbs, flowers and countless other plants to make our yard feel more welcoming. {There is something spectacular about sitting outside, enjoying the sunshine and being surrounded by natural beauty.}

So why only enjoy Mother Nature outside? If you like something, why not enjoy as much of it as possible? We both agreed that by filling our home with various potted plants and flowers, it would be a great way to personalize our space and express our passion for gardening.

I was reading this blog, and I saw this adorable project. It seemed simple enough so I decided to give it a shot. Pick any size terra cotta clay pot and a fabric that you love {I picked a fabric that had a random pattern so it wouldn't look tacky if the fabric strips didn't line up just perfectly}. Cut the fabric into strips long enough to cover the pot from the base to about two inches inside. Wipe some mod podge on a section of your pot and add the strips of fabric. Add more mod podge on top of the fabric. Repeat until your entire pot is covered. Just for a safe measure, I then covered my entire pot in another coat of mod podge {I used the glossy finish}. After it dried, I transplanted a plant with some new soil into the pot.

The best thing about this project is that I was able to replant an existing plant I already had into the new pot. Wyet gave me this plant for Valentines Day in 2012, and the pot that it was in just wasn't doing it any justice. This cute new fabric pot really brings out the pink and yellow in this plant and adds a little more character. I think my next terra cotta project will be to try out some paint on these cute textured pots. Can't wait!

Materials: Terra cotta clay pot, sponge brush, mod podge and floral print fabric from Joann Fabric & Craft.

After!

Bringing the outdoors in! This potted plant is the perfect accent piece to our little nook.

1 comment:

  1. This is adorable.

    Now... teach me how to keep my plants alive?

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs