Pages

A Christmas Craft

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

As far as the holidays go, I can barely control my excitement this year. I continue to blame it on the fact that this is the first year that Wyet and I have spent living together as a couple {which, for some reason, has given me the excuse to be excessive}, but nonetheless, I have a gone a bit overboard this year on the festivities. Christmas, obviously, has not been an exception. I began decorating as soon as the Halloween decorations came off the shelves. Naturally, I needed to add another decoration to my collection; thus, the crafting began.

I loved the wooden owls I made earlier this year and decided to do something similar for Christmas. I went to my local watering hole for craft supplies, Remember Your Memories, and I picked out some unfinished wood pieces I wanted to work on. Rather than crafting solo, I picked up something for my mom, as well, and we made a night of it.

Though I love to craft, I have to admit, it's not always fun and carefree. That's exactly how this project started out. I wanted to have the projects ready to go so that when my mom arrived we could get right to the creative and fun part. I needed to paint the side and back pieces of wood so that the projects had a clean, finished look. I took the wood outside, laid them on some newspaper, and began to spray paint. Being in the rush I always am in, I didn't bother taking the time to change out of my work outfit. Naturally, I ended up getting black spray paint all over my favorite leather boots. If you know me and my love for shoes, I am sure you can imagine the fit this caused {oh yes, tears and all}. I wasn't off to a very good start.

Even though I was being a bit of a cry baby, my mom came over nonetheless {moms are awesome that way}. She showed up with a list of ways to get paint out of leather, and I began feeling better about things. We started our projects and enjoyed some great laughs and conversation along the way.

Though we made some mistakes {and wasted a bit of our supplies in the process} we had a great time. We each ended up with a unique, handmade decoration and were able to enjoy some incredible mama/daughter time while doing so. I am so grateful for the relationship I have with my mom. She is one of the few people who understands me, and the only person who can cheer me up when I ruin a great pair of shoes. Our craft turned out wonderfully, and our night together was even better.

The supplies: wood from RYM, papers from American Crafts and Mod Podge from any local crafting supply store
Halfway there!
I owe all of my craftiness to this lady. She had me tole painting and scrapbooking before I could read.
Adding this fur {found at Michaels Craft} was the messiest part of the project!
The completed project!
My mom's project all finished! She added some Christmas bells inside of the O for the finishing touch!




1 comment:

 
site design by designer blogs